Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 (MIM) is an on-premises, server-based synchronization engine. It synchronizes users’ digital identity data between systems. It’s the latest incarnation of an on-premises server-based Microsoft identity product which used to be called ForeFront Identity Manager 2010 R2 (FIM), and Identity Lifecycle Manager (ILM). Before that, it was Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 (MIIS). For a historical comparison see MIM, FIM and ILM compared.
Note that Azure AD Connect is based on MIM, too.
Essentially, MIM synchronizes identity data between various systems
MIM is very flexible in what it can connect to – for example Active Directory, other directories, HR systems, ERP systems, email systems, etc. And what objects it synchronizes: always users, often groups, and maybe roles, permissions, computers etc.
It can provision and de-provision, enable and disable, move, and generally synchronize all types of attributes – even passwords (though passwords are not handled like other attributes – being propagated in real time, while regular attributes are synchronized on a schedule).
It comes with some options:
- A portal that includes a workflow engine for managing employees, contractors and groups, and for providing self-service password reset. Note that the portal functionality is largely replaceable by features in Azure AD Premium, while the above synchronization capability remains a fundamental requirement to many hybrid implementations, and is actually part of Azure AD Premium).
- Reporting – though again, there are significant limitations, and third party alternatives are available, notably from SoftwareIDM.
We are experts in this complex technology, and we have lots of resources which you may find helpful. Here are some of the most popular:
- Webinar recordings:
- How to transition from MIM? Identity experts answer FAQs
- How MIM and Azure AD Connect enable hybrid identity
- MIM and Azure AD Connect – two sides of the same coin?
- Upgrade from ILM or FIM to MIM: Benefits and Best Practices
Need training on Microsoft Identity Manager?
- Live instructor-led training via Teams from wherever you are
- Study online at your own pace – start any time
- Arrange private training for your IT team – learning together is a top team-building exercise
Learn how to build an HR driven provisioning solution for your Active Directory and Azure Active Directory with our practical video training.
Updated July 2022