Microsoft Identity Manager 2016 (MIM) is the latest incarnation of an on-premises server-based Microsoft product that used to be called ForeFront Identity Manager 2010 R2 (FIM), and Identity Lifecycle Manager (ILM) before that, and Microsoft Identity Integration Server 2003 (MIIS) before that. For a historical comparison see MIM, FIM and ILM compared. Note that Azure AD Connect is based on FIM, too.
Fundamentally, MIM synchronizes identity data between various systems.
It’s very flexible in what it can connect to (like Active Directory, other directories, HR systems, ERP systems, email systems etc.), and what objects it synchronizes (always users, often groups, and maybe roles, permissions, computers etc.). It can provision and de-provision, enable and disable, move, and generally synchronize all types of attributes – even passwords (though passwords are not handled like other attributes – being propagated in real time, while regular attributes are synchronized on a schedule).
It comes with some options:
- A portal that includes a workflow engine for managing employees, contractors and groups, and for providing self-service password reset (it is noteworthy that the portal functionality is largely replaceable by features in Azure AD Premium, while the above synchronization capability remains a fundamental requirement to many hybrid implementations, and is actually part of Azure AD Premium)
- Reporting – though again, there are significant limitations, and third party alternatives are available (notably from SoftwareIdM)
Further MIM resources
As we are experts in this complex technology, we have a mountain of resources which you may find helpful. Here are four of the most popular:
- FIM to MIM – a user’s guide – blog
- What’s the difference between MIM and Azure AD Connect – webinar recording
- What you need to know about the latest MIM 2016 SP1 hotfix (126.96.36.199) – blog
- Upgrade from ILM or FIM to MIM: Benefits and Best Practices – webinar recording
Need to learn MIM?
No problem! We run the world’s best MIM training courses and we’ll take you from foundation level all the way to expert. Learn live in the classroom or live via Skype, online, self-paced, or our instructors can train your team privately.