Written by an expert team including Andreas Kjellman (formerly MIM and Azure AD Connect Program Manager for Microsoft), and diving deep beyond the wizard, our Azure AD Connect Masterclass is the only comprehensive, structured training course for this complex and powerful technology.
Who is the Azure AD Connect Masterclass for?
Our AAD Connect Masterclass is for architects and administrators responsible for connecting their on-premises Active Directory with an Azure Active Directory tenant who want to:
- Understand what Azure AD Connect can do beyond its ‘out-of-the-box’ form and investigate its many additional capabilities
- Learn how to configure and maintain it, and which configurations are supported
Azure AD Connect is now a key part of a hybrid AD infrastructure.
The “out-of-the-box” installation offers some great features, and it is important that these are fully understood. But it’s also vital to learn about the additional configurations that are possible, and which are supported.
Having the optimal configuration for your organization will enable you to provide consistent, secure and user-friendly authentication, as well as consistent authorization across on-premises and cloud applications through automated and reliable group management – even in complex environments, and all while minimizing the strain on your administrators and helpdesk staff.
The Azure AD Connect Masterclass covers both the ‘easy’ things (installation and configuration using the wizard) as well as ‘harder’ things, like how provisioning and deprovisioning works, and the disaster recovery options. It has realistic hands-on labs enabling you to get a proper understanding of its capabilities in real-world scenarios.
Familiarity with AD and basic concepts of authentication will be advantageous – the same goes for Exchange (unless you will never use it).
Azure AD Connect is based on Microsoft Identity Manager, and while we will call out similarities and differences, no prior knowledge is required – and the same goes for Azure Active Directory.
The training comprises presentations, discussions, demonstrations, and 22 hands-on exercises! The 10 hands-on labs – crucial to a proper understanding of the topics – have been made as realistic as possible. Students will use a real domain and fully implement Azure AD Connect in various configurations. The labs are complex and reflect issues you will face in the real world. Students taking this training in the classroom get a month’s access to online videos and quizzes.
See the course outline for what you’ll learn, module by module.
Thinking of taking the Azure AD Connect Masterclass online, self-paced?
In this movie our CEO, Hugh Simpson-Wells explains what you get and how it works:
How to take the Azure AD Connect Masterclass:
- Attend live instructor-led in the classroom for 3 days, or join the live class via Skype.
- Study online, self-paced. You get access to online learning videos that cover the same content as classroom course, tutor support, access to a real Azure cloud and on-premises environment for up to 3 weeks, a soft copy of our course manual, plus notifications of any significant Azure AD/Azure AD Connect updates. Find out what you get if you take this course online, self-paced.
- Arrange a private training session for your team. This instructor-led option can be in the classroom at a location of your choice, or via Skype. You tell us! Find out more about private training.
At the end of the course you’ll understand:
- Everything you can do through the wizard, and how to extend that
- Different authentication options – how you move from one to the other, and how they interact
- Azure AD Connect architecture and configuration, understanding and editing rules, and handling errors
- Scheduling, statistics, basic troubleshooting, high availability, and Azure AD Connect health
- Managing Azure AD Connect with PowerShell
- Precedence, provisioning/deprovisioning, joining rules, and transformations
- Upgrading, backup, restore and recovery options
- Multi-forest, multi-tenant and non-AD directory scenarios
- Integrating cloud-based HR systems
- What’s supported and what’s not
Post-course, you’ll have:
- Perpetual access to the course e-manual
- 3 weeks’ access (from the course start date) to:
- 33 video lectures covering the entire course, and specifically designed and recorded to support online learning
- 10 lab demos – videos of all the labs performed in class, including helpful tips. tricks and explanations to improve understanding
- 7 revision quizzes which can be taken as many times as you like – a fun way to test your knowledge!
This course was written by Andreas Kjellman (formerly MIM and Azure AD Connect Program Manager for Microsoft), Hugh Simpson-Wells (CEO, OCG), Jimmy Andersson (MVP Enterprise Mobility) and James Cowling (CTO, OCG).
There is very little overlap between this Azure AD Connect Masterclass and the Identity Masterclass with John Craddock
- The Identity Masterclass with John Craddock uses Azure AD Connect in its simplest out-of-the-box configuration. The Azure AD Connect Masterclass examines Azure AD Connect deeply.
- The Identity Masterclass with John Craddock examines authentication issues in detail. The Azure AD Connect Masterclass covers authentication only to the extent that is needed to demonstrate the different configuration options.